Sunday, July 18, 2010

Be nice...


I've never written a blog before. I never really thought anyone would care what I have to say. However, after continuous pushing and encouragement from family and friends I gave in. So bear with me, and please excuse the informality and possible inappropriateness. 
There are six living things in my house: myself, my husband, a bamboo plant that won't quit no matter how often I forget to give it water, and three dogs. Casey was our first dog. We got her as a puppy from a friend of a friend in 2005. She's a beagle/mountain cur mix. Neither of us knew anything about dogs at this point. I had dogs growing up, but that was the extent of my experience. After moving to Texas I started working at a dog daycare. This is what really kicked off my wanting to learn everything I could about dogs. Casey was able to socialize at the daycare, and she did great with most of the other dogs. I thought it would be nice to get her a friend.


Murray was an odd, orange, little shelter puppy that we adopted in May of 2008. Murray looks like several different dogs, but basically he's a retriever mix. He was a handful when he was younger. Me and my husband always say that if Murray had been our first dog, he would have been our last. Murray's first few months involved many failed housebreaking attempts, a couple big growth spurts, and several trips to the vet. In October 2008 we found out that Murray suffers from hip dysplasia. He may need surgery in the future, but now he's living with it and is honestly the happiest dog I've ever known.


Pearl came to us as a foster dog in September 2009. After about six months, and numerous failed potential adoptions, we decided that she was already home and adopted her. She is possibly a heeler/shepherd/terrier mix? But we just call her super mutt. She is incredibly timid and is still afraid of people, but she is constantly making progress. She loves Casey and Murray, food, and walks. She only likes to be pet when she wants it, and I've come to respect that.

3 comments:

  1. Great start, Em! Those pictures are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing deal. Way to blog dogs. I think this will be a great outlet for your plethora of canine knowledge. Thanks for putting it to paper...er, computer and giving it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'll be checking back regularly to find out more about how to care for our furry friends. Wish you had a question and answer spot.

    ReplyDelete